Personal Safety and Effective Communication with Angry Residents
Time & Location
About the Event
This training is targeted for Residential Class 2, Recovery Housing and Permanent Supported Housing Operators, Managers and Staff.
This Personal Safety and Effective Communication training will help operators, managers and staff be better prepared to deal with personal safety issues, increase staff confidence as the result of having more choices in dealing with safety issues at work and increase moral all leading to a reduced number of incidents and increase in staff performance.
The objectives for this training include:
Increase staff skills in recognizing potentially threatening or dangerous situations.
Increase staff skills in maintaining productive and safe interactions with residents and others they may have contact with.
Provide staff with more choices in dealing with challenging situations.
The objectives will be met with the following areas of learning:
- The Personal Safety Template: Awareness, Assessment, Anticipation, Action.
- Approaches to Dealing with Anger: What angry people want and need.
- Effective Communication: It's not what you say- it's what they think you mean when you say it.
- Behavioral Risk Assessment: The earlier we see it, the more options we have.
- Verbal De-escalation Strategies: Getting to safe and productive.
- Transforming the Language: What we say to others; what we say to ourselves.
- Principles of Defusing: Ten to-do's and to-dont's.
- Congruent Communication: Transforming others by changing ourselves.
Registration is required for this face-to-face/in-person training in order to attend. Please choose only one date to register for this training. If you sign up and find out later that you cannot attend, please cancel your registration as we are limiting the training to 30 attendees per training. If you do not cancel ahead of time and do not show up for the training, your name will be canceled out if you try and sign up for a new date. At that point your name will be added to a wait list. You will be notified 2 days before if there is room available.