Mon, Dec 02|
Ohio Department of Transportation
Crisis Intervention and De-Escalation
Time & Location
Dec 02, 2019, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Ohio Department of Transportation, 1980 W Broad St, Columbus, OH 43223, USA
About the event
Residential Facility Class 2 (Adult Care Facility) Operators and staff will receive 6 hours of mental health training that can apply towards the training requirement from Licensure and Certification.
Residential Facility Class 2 (Adult Care Facilities) staff members and other housing providers who treat individuals suffering from mental illness in out of home facilities require skills that bring calm while managing mental health crises and aggressive behaviors while maintaining a safe treatment environment. This requires knowledge of best practices in crisis management with knowledge of legal and state mandated resources .
This training focuses on creating a safe environment and providing for an understanding of risk behaviors, behavioral escalation, and trauma and violence prevention. A “core strategy” approach which centers on proactive de-escalation, data driven, and client centered interventions, debriefing and crisis/safety planning.
- Understand the core strategies of creating a “violence free/coercion free” environment
- Understand the emotional and mental illness factors that can lend themselves to a crisis
- Understand proactive interventions to a crisis
- Understand de-escalation and debriefing and the creation of crisis plans
- Understand the impact of suicide behavior and the factors that contribute to it
- Increase awareness of Ohio MH law and knowledge of resources
- Discuss what mental health crisis entails
- Discuss/review trauma and mental illness symptoms which may lead to a crisis
- Discuss antecedent interventions, behavioral interventions, problem solving skills and recovery interventions
- Discuss aspects of suicide prevention and safety planning
- Discuss empowerment and engagement principles